Yerba Buena to Mulholland –This one would easily become a top 3 climb of mine if they ever repave it. Even though the road is in terrible condition this ride is still ranked because it is amazing in every other facet.
Difficulty Rating: 4
Distance: 10.9 miles
Climb Rating: 1
Click here for ride link
Click here for the Strava segment
- It is long. The climb to the overlook is nearly 8.5 miles long and there are very few flat or downhill sections of road during the climb. Very little chance to rest except just before the Circle X Ranch area. Why is this a pro? Well, I guess if you know me, you know why.
- The views of the mountains, especially the rocky outcroppings, make this one of the prettiest sections of the mountain range.
- Much of the climb is at a very manageable grade and you can really push. Sections get steep and you will pay during those sections if you push it too hard elsewhere, but for the most part you can go pretty hard and make a great run all the way to the top.
- Want an extra thrill? Try YELLOW HILL. Turn off to the right just before Cothran and ride it to the end. It is considered the 2nd hardest mile of road in all of California. IT IS! Trick your friends into doing it with you. They will love you for it.
- Fantastic views of the Conejo Valley once you get up on the ridge. That coupled with good views of the ocean on the other side make this one of the prettiest rides on the list.
- Very little traffic and next to no motorcycle traffic. The one good thing about the poor quality of pavement.
- Getting to it on PCH is easy.
- There is a great water stop and bathroom at Circle X Ranch if you need it. There is even a little store if you forgot snacks.
- By far the biggest is the quality of the road on the Ventura County section. This road sucks big time if you are trying to descend it. It will destroy your wheels if it does not destroy you. Descending this sucks.
- The short section of decent until you reach the Los Angeles County line. It is rough and nasty.