Mulholland from PCH to Little Sycamore – Lots of variety and just plain fun.
Difficulty Rating: 8
Distance: 7.0 miles
Climb Rating: 2
Click here for ride link
Click here for the Strava segment
- It starts off easy and lets you warm up.
- The road is in great shape all the way up to the top.
- It is fairly long, 7 miles to the top out point. If you can get from PCH to here in less than 30 minutes my hat is off to you.
- It is one of the most classic roads in Southern California and even with that there is very little traffic on it. I have often been up it with no cars passing me.
- It gives you a great rest section early on and offers one of the best sections of flat canyon riding in all of the Santa Monica’ where you can thump it at pretty amazing speeds.
- It is the best fish catching climb on the list and this is because of the wonderful and amazing “3 Spurs of Saint Mulholland”. These are the 3 canyons the road enters after the flat section. Each one is bigger than the last and you can see fish well out in front of you as you get to the bottom of each. “HA, I am going to get you little fishy” can be said as you take off after them, hoping they are not a tuna or even worse, a barracuda. As you get to the top of each one you can look back down and see the chum you destroyed along the road, and even more important check and make sure there are no pesky fishermen with their sights set on catching you. “Oh no no no little puny wanna-be fisherman. I see you and you don’t have a chance”. Zoom. “Bye-Bye!”
- I’m trying to think of one but I can’t.