Deer Creek (Including upper section of Yerba Buena) – The Beast of all the Beasties! In fact the other Beasts are mere Beastlets compared to Deer Creek.
Difficulty Rating: 1
Distance: 11 miles
Climb Rating: HC
Click here for ride link
Click here for the Strava segment
- This climb sucks. POWERFUL sucks. It just keeps going up and up and up and it never eases off for nearly 2.5 miles. You climb to over 1300 feet in that distance with an average grade of nearly 13%. Did I mention that was “AVERAGE”? The steepest sections go over 20%. It hurts from the second you leave PCH and the pain only gets worse and worse. You are constantly out of the saddle and it feels like your head is going to explode. It sucks, is vomit inducing, and it is not fun in any way shape or form. All that being said, if you need to do a climb like this, and everyone does, there is no better option in the Santa Monica’s. Having just read this section you might ask yourself why I have done this climb so many times. Because it RULES!
- The views are really good but you will almost never be able to look up to enjoy them. Make sure to try and look behind you every so often. It will really let you know how steep the road is.
- Much of this ride is on a single lane road which is rare in the Santa Monica’s.
- After the first 2 miles it does ease up quite a bit and even gives you some flat sections where you actually can enjoy some great views and some neat houses.
- Doing the upper 2/3rds of Yerba Buena. You can’t claim to have done my version of Deer Creek unless you have combined it with the upper portion of Yerba Buena. (See Con’s)
- The awesome Mini Support Crew helping riders out during the annual DCDR.
- A bit rough on the decent sections.
- You have to do the upper 2/3rds of Yerba Buena. You can’t claim to have done my version of Deer Creek unless you have combined it with the upper portion of Yerba Buena. (See Pro’s)